Joint PhD in Psychology and Linguistics

Students in the Department of Linguistics in the Division of the Humanities who wish to work toward a joint PhD in Psychology and in Linguistics must be admitted to the Department of Psychology through the Division of the Social Sciences.

Joint PhD in Business and Psychology

The Joint Program in Psychology and Business was established in the 2009, and is overseen jointly by the Behavioral Science dissertation area at Chicago Booth and the Department of Psychology in the Division of the Social Sciences. The aim of this program is to connect the large number of social, cognitive, and organizational psychologists at Chicago Booth and within the Department of Psychology. To qualify for the joint program, a student must be admitted into either the Psychology or the Business graduate program. PhD students in Psychology or Business who want to take the Joint Degree will need an adviser in both schools. The adviser from the program the student was initially admitted into will be a primary adviser and the one from the other program, the secondary adviser. Normally this would be done after completing the first year of studies. Once the student and the faculty member agree on the advising relationship, the student applies for Joint status. The application is then reviewed by the faculty in the program that the student wants to join. If the program recommends the student for admission, the department admissions committee makes a decision on the case. For more information, contact the Department of Psychology Graduate Program Administrator (773) 702-8861 or

Joint BA/MA in the Social Sciences

Qualified students in the College who wish to pursue a joint BA/MA degree in the Master of Arts Program in the Social Sciences should consult with their College adviser, the Assistant Dean of Students in the Social Sciences (Lindsey Weglarz,, and Chad Cyrenne (, Managing Director of MAPSS, as early as possible in their third year, during the Autumn Quarter.

For program requirements and application instructions, visit the College's Joint Degree web page.